SOWA Spokane Methods Double-Header: Active Learning & Cooperative Learning
January 26 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
SOWA is hosting two weekend workshops in Spokane on Jan. 26, 2018. You can register for one, or for both!
Active Learning, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Do you know the difference between active learning and “hands-on” learning? Giving youth materials is just the beginning. This interactive workshop introduces the “ingredients” of active learning, explains the role that active learning plays in the experiential learning cycle, and helps participants create more powerful learning opportunities for youth.
- Have opportunities to experience active learning first hand.
- Gain experience building the six principles of active learning into their programs.
Cooperative Learning, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Do the youth in your program have opportunities to work together in groups, teaching and learning from each other? Cooperative learning is an excellent way to nurture youth leadership, build community, and keep things fun.
- Participants will be able to define Cooperative Learning.
- Participants will gain experience using a variety of group forming strategies (Group Formers) and group work structures (Group Structures).
- Participants will understand how Cooperative Learning helps to meet the social and intellectual needs of youth.
- Participants will learn how to apply four complementary strategies to engineer successful Cooperative Learning structures.